Tuesday, September 18, 2012

How Do You Solve a Problem Like...Making Your First Video?

Apparently I've got The Sound of Music in my head a little bit. Who knows where that came from?

Just because I've posted two blog posts in two days does not mean this will be the natural way of things. I'll probably have huge gaps, but since it's my blog, I'm going to try not to worry about that.

I just saw Bre Bishop's latest tweet about the fact that if you submit your video response to her question, "What impact has Harry Potter had on your life?" before THURSDAY, it will still make it on the DVD extras.

I'd love to be on the DVD extras! I've already ordered my copy of Finding Hogwarts - and if you're a Harry Potter fan, it's definitely worth the order and is actually not that expensive! - and hey, wouldn't it be cool to be on the DVD? I also get my name in the credits so I guess it could be in there for a reason. And I don't think I'd have a problem making a response to the impact that Harry Potter has had on my life; it shaped my life, as I've been reading it since I was seven, but it also impacted me because it saved my skin a couple of times.

The problem I'm encountering about getting that video done and up by Thursday is that I've never made a YouTube video before. I've made videos before, but none that end up available to the rest of the world. I've always wanted to but I've always balked at the fact that I believe I have nothing to say. I think I'd really want my first video to be something that mattered to me, instead of just a silly introductory video.

Answering Bre's question would definitely be a good first video. Whether or not I get it on the DVD, I think I want to answer it. I wasn't on YouTube when everything was starting, back in 2006/2007, so I wasn't around when she asked the question the first time. However, I do know that that question sparked a lot of my favourite YouTubers' careers and presence on YouTube. For a lot of people, that was one of their very first videos on this fledgling site that has since blown up into an amazing vehicle for all kinds of communities - but particularly the ones I belong to, those of Harry Potter and Nerdfighteria. So I think it would be nostalgic and fitting if my very first YouTube video was a response to this question that is so important in my life.

Now I just have to think - if I really want to do this, I might as well do it as soon as possible, before I lose my nerve. This means I might actually slide in under the deadline to get it up in time for Thursday. If I write it tonight and film early tomorrow - and I'll keep the editing to a minimum, with no fancy tricks because let's face it, I don't know what I'm doing in any way - maybe I can actually get it up there.

I think I want to make this my goal. I think it's important that this deadline is coming up. Besides the fact that being on the extras of a real live DVD would be amazing, with a real deadline in mind, I can't avoid this. I can't lose my nerve, because I need to get it done.

I'm hoping that at the end of Wednesday, there'll be an actual uploaded video on my YouTube channel. I'm not going to pretend this is definitely going to happen; I'm aware of the deadline and my desire to do this, but I'm not going to pretend it's a done deal until it's filmed and edited. It's not going to be fancy, whatever I produce - but I think simple is ideal for a beginner and also for this question. I can communicate any fanciness in my words, because this question is so important to me.

So hopefully I can link to a video in my next post! Either that or my next post will be how I went down in flames in the attempt to make this video. It could swing either way.

I guess we'll all wait and see - myself included.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to engage - let's talk!