Sunday, November 23, 2014

Review: As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride


As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride
As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



First off, I truly enjoyed this book. I came into my appreciation of The Princess Bride later in life - I was in high school when I finally saw it - but it was definitely all encompassing! I adored the film, and since then, have watched it countless times and can quote along with no problem. I got to read the book shortly after, and fell in love with it as well. It is crafted by genius, truly, and I couldn't have loved it more.

So this memoir and account of the making of something that was so beloved by me - as it was beloved by so, so many people - was something I knew I would love. I was excited to hear about this and so glad I finally got to read it. And I wasn't actually disappointed! The anecdotes from all the cast and crew, not just Cary, was moving and fun to read. The book itself is written with heartfelt gratitude and love from Cary, and there's no negative wording. It was an adorable exercise in nostalgia, and getting to find out all the behind the scenes stuff will be exciting for any fan.

There are, however, occasional patches of awkwardness. Sometimes the story telling will become disjointed - this isn't really a surprise, as Cary is not a writer. However, it's surprising that neither the co-writer nor an editor picked up on the fact that sometimes, sections do not make sense. There's occasionally two anecdotes being related, but with no bridge between them, so you're not entirely sure how they relate until you reach the end, and then sit and analyze it to see why that was included or why that quote was put there. It's really just a matter of a missing line of text to make the link, but that's something that should have been caught in the end by the team working on creating the book. It's really just some technical writing aspects that leave a little to be desired.

I also have the hardcover edition, and I'm so sad that the limited edition poster, though definitely included, is on the inside of the dustjacket! I want to frame it and hang it on my wall, but I don't want to lose that jacket for the book. (Anyone know where I can get that poster separately, because I NEED IT, it's gorgeous!)

All in all, I loved to read about this, and Cary speaking of such great people as Andre the Giant or Peter Falk, who have since passed away, will definitely bring tears to your eyes. The love everyone involved in this film had for the project and for each other is incredible, and very well related here.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to engage - let's talk!